In This Article
- What You Need to Know about Indian Marble
- What You Need to Know About Italian Marble
- Popular Types of Indian and Italian Marble
- Where Can You Use These Marble Varieties?
- How Much Does Indian Marble Cost in India?
- Italian Marble Price in India
- What Are Their Laying Costs?
- How to Maintain Indian and Italian Marble?
- Things to Watch Out for
- Strength and Durability of Indian and Italian Marble
- How Can Livspace Help You?
When it comes to adding that touch of elegance to home interiors, there’s nothing quite like marble. This regal material can instantly amp up the look of any room. But, have you ever wondered which is the better marble between the Indian marble and Italian marble varieties that are available? Here, we will give you a comprehensive list of things to keep in mind while choosing the best marble in India for your home by comparing these two popular options.
There’s a lot of info out there and it’s easy to get overwhelmed but worry not. We have tried to simplify the information regarding this material for you. To begin with, here are the basic differences you need to know between Indian and Italian marble.
What You Need to Know about Indian Marble
Indian marble is quarried extensively in north India, is a cost-effective choice and available in a wide variety of colours and textures. Indian marble has medium lustre and is a relatively harder stone. In terms of sustainability, it is the best marble for flooring in India.
What You Need to Know About Italian Marble
Italian marble varieties are widely appreciated for their high lustre and the ability to impart visual appeal to the area where they are used. They are quarried in Italy and are now easily available in India as well. These marbles are usually available in slabs.
|Indian Marble||Italian Marble|
|Source||Rajasthan, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh |
and Madhya Pradesh
|Polishing||Polished and unpolished||One side polished|
|Softness||Comparatively hard||Very soft|
|Price||Starts at ₹50 per sq ft||Starts at ₹350 per sq ft|
|Laying||Less skilled craftsmen||Highly skilled craftsmen|
|Thickness||Available in various thicknesses||Available in 18 to 20 mm slabs|
Popular Types of Indian and Italian Marble
Some Well-Known Indian Marble Varieties
These come in an astonishing array of colours such as white, pink, yellow, green, red and black. Some of the best marble in India includes:
- Lustrous white Makrana marble (famously used in the Taj Mahal)
- High-quality white Ambaji marble from Gujarat
- The widely exported Indian green marble from Rajasthan
- White Statuario Indian marble
- Jodhpur pink marble
- Onyx marble, which gets its name from the thick bands of alternating colour.
Common Italian Marble Varieties in India
Italian marble varieties, like their Indian counterparts, come in a variety of colours and textures, though there are a few varieties which are famed such as:
- The much-valued Statuario marble which is characterised by its white colour shot with grey or gold veins
- Golden-hued Botticino marble that seems to be lit from within
- Light grey Carrera marble that features dispersed, fine, feathery veining
- Nero (black) Marquina and so on.
Where Can You Use These Marble Varieties?
Indian marble is primarily used for flooring, countertops in the kitchen and bathroom and tables around the house. Like we said before, it makes for the best marble for flooring in India.
Due to its highly glossy look, Italian marble is usually used as a decorative element on walls, flooring, tabletops and so on.
Also, discover 8 places at home where you can use marble.
How Much Does Indian Marble Cost in India?
While the cost of marble varies from city to city and vendor to vendor, Indian marble starts from as low as ₹50 per sq. ft. for some varieties of Indian green marble and goes up to ₹250 per sq. ft. for other varieties.
Italian Marble Price in India
Italian marble prices in India start from ₹350 per sq. ft. and go up to ₹5,000 per sq. ft., sometimes even higher. Marble prices are usually higher than the prices of granite or vitrified tiles. You can always consider these other options if the marble prices don’t suit your budget.
What Are Their Laying Costs?
The cost of laying is only a part of the total Indian or Italian marble flooring cost per sq ft in India. And it is almost the same for both — ₹100 to 300 per sq. ft. Laying marble involves creating a base of cement and river sand before placing the marble slabs and is therefore a labour-intensive task.
How to Maintain Indian and Italian Marble?
Here are some tips that will go a long way in keeping your marble looking as good as new:
- Sweep regularly to keep away dust and grit
- Clean with a mild detergent solution or a specially formulated marble-cleaning liquid
- Rub or mop the floors gently; never scrub
- Apply a marble sealer to create a protective barrier to prevent staining
- Do not drag heavy objects over it
- Mop up spills, especially acidic liquids like vinegar
- Both Indian marble and Italian marble lose lustre over time; hence, you should get them polished periodically
Things to Watch Out for
Keep these things in mind while you buy marble for your home:
- Ensure the marble slabs you buy are of the same thickness, ideally 18 mm and not less; else they may crack
- Check for cracks and stains
- Look at the marble slabs along with the sample pieces to get a rough estimate and avoid wastage
- Take into consideration wastage due to breakage during transit
Strength and Durability of Indian and Italian Marble
#1: Italian marble varieties are soft but available in thicknesses from 18 to 20 mm, which makes them conducive to small hairline cracks over time. On the other hand, Indian marble is much more durable.
#2: For added reinforcement, a thin nylon sheet is used in Italian marble.
Both Indian and Italian marble have their pros and cons, as listed above, but it’s best to choose what suits your needs. While building or renovating your home, you may have a particular finish in mind and a budget to follow. By keeping these points in mind, you can easily select the right type of marble for your house. Also, explore 14 Resplendent Marble Flooring Designs Here.
Wondering how our customers feel about working with Livspace? You can check out the Livspace reviews here!
Send in your comments and suggestions at email@example.com.
How Can Livspace Help You?
We hope you found our ideas useful! If you want beautiful interiors for your home, then look no further. Book an online consultation with Livspace today. Delivering safe home interiors has been our No. 1 priority. Click here to find out how interiors are being delivered following all safety protocols.